Every month, we here at Treeswift Wildlife & Nature try to compile a report of all the mammals we have recorded across our various tours and outings. Below is the summary of tours in December 2022 that had notable mammal sightings, all of which took place in Victoria, Australia. Feel free to skip right to the end for a simple summary of total species (20x species)
Round Robin Tour (9x species)
A 4 day tour around Victoria (Approximately itinerary included Toolangi, Bendigo, Terrick Terrick, Colac, Otways, and the Surf Coast) with the aim of seeing every species of Australasian Robin (9x species) in Victoria. We travelled 1450kms and visited 46x sites, finding and photographing each all robin targets as well as spotting some iconic Australian mammals along the way.
- 12x Swamp Wallaby
- 32x Eastern Grey Kangaroo
- 6x Common Brushtail Possum
- 2x Common Ringtail Possum
- 1x White-striped Free-tailed Bat
- 3x Krefft’s Glider
- 2x Yellow-footed Antechinus
- 1x Short-beaked Echidna
- 1x Koala
Nocturnal Leadbeater’s Possum Tour (8x species)
A private nocturnal spotlighting tour for 3x people, with focus on finding the critically endangered Leadbeater’s Possum. Not only were we successful in locating a Leadbeater’s Possum, but we also had some great encounters with other mammals such as Southern Greater Glider, Yellow-bellied Glider and Mountain Brushtail Possum.
- 1x Leadbeater’s Possum
- 1x Southern Greater Glider
- 1x Yellow-bellied Glider
- 2x Mountain Brushtail Possum
- 2x Kreff’s Glider
- 1x Sambar Deer
- 1x Swamp Wallaby
- 10~ microbat sp.
Western Treatment Plant Bird Photography Tour (3x species)
As with November, we regularly led tours to the Western Treatment Plant (of international fame due to its outstanding bird life). Though the focus was always on the birds, our guides regularly observed the following mammals (listed in summary here, rather than per individual birding tour):
- Eastern Grey Kangaroo
- European Rabbit
- European (Brown) Hare
Nocturnal Photography Class (3x species)
A nocturnal photography class for 6x participants in Healesville designed for photographers to elevate their nocturnal photography skills.
- 2x Yellow-bellied Glider
- 14x Southern Greater Glider
- 2x Samba Deer
Wildlife Photography Course (5x species)
A 4x day photography course for 3x participants across 4x different locations. We focused on photographing wildlife in a variety of locations.
- 22x European Rabbit (abundant)
- 50x Eastern Grey Kangaroo
- 2x Common Ringtail Possum (drey)
- 1x Red Fox
- 4x Swamp Wallaby (possibly same pair twice)
Greater Glider Nocturnal Fundraising Walk (5x species)
A walk for 13x participants through the Yarra Ranges in search for Southern Greater Glider and other incidental nocturnal wildlife. 50% of sales from our Greater Glider tours are donated to conservation organisations such as WWF and Kinglake Friends of the Forest.
- 20x Southern Greater Glider
- 1x Common Brushtail Possum (juvenile climbing tree, starting at head height just on side of the road)
- 1x Common Ringtail Possum (observed amongst dense foliage)
- 1x Yellow-bellied Glider (shriek heard in distance)
- Unidentified microbat sp.
Private Sunrise Birding Tour (4x species)
A private birding tour from 2am-10am around the Yarra Ranges and surrounding areas. Primarily birding focused, but we did bump into some mammals along the way.
- 14x Common Ringtail Possum
- 3x Common Brushtail
- 1x Red Fox
- 5x Swamp Wallaby
Private Half Day Birding & Spotlighting Tour (10x species)
A private birding and spotlighting tour for an international client who has recently moved to Melbourne. A birding tour that turned out a large range of iconic mammal species as well!
- 4x Swamp Wallaby
- 6x Eastern Grey Kangaroo
- 1x Southern Greater Glider (dark morph)
- 2x Koala (1x well seen, 1x heard)
- 12x Yellow-bellied Glider (spectacular views of an adult feeding in full view of our spotlights less than 15 metres away)
- 2x Common Wombat (both with mange)
- 8x Eastern Grey Kangaroo
- 3x Swamp Wallaby
- 4x House Cat (1x adult with 3x kittens)
- 2x Red Fox
Melbourne By Night Tour
A private Melbourne by Night Tour for a group of 5x participants at Banyule Flats. A great evening focussing on education, wildlife watching ethics at night and featuring a variety of great birds, mammals and frogs.
- 15x Common Ringtail Possum (seen increasingly in pairs, including adult with juvenile at the end)
- 2x Common Wombat (observed just off the path foraging)
- 1x Red Fox (near the bridge in the dense bushes)
Private Half Day Birding & Spotlighting Tour
A private birding and spotlighting tour around the Yarra Ranges.
- 1x Krefft’s Glider
- 2x Common Wombat
- 1x Eastern Grey Kangaroo
- 5x Swamp Wallaby
Total Mammal List – December 2022 Tours:
- Short-beaked Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus)
- Koala (Phascolarctos cinereus)
- Common Wombat (Vombatus ursinus)
- Yellow-footed Antechinus (Antechinus flavipes)
- Leadbeater’s Possum (Gymnobelideus leadbeateri)
- Yellow-bellied Glider (Petaurus australis)
- Krefft’s Glider (Petaurus notatus)
- Southern Greater Glider (Petauroides volans)
- Common Ringtail Possum (Pseudocheirus peregrinus)
- Mountain Brushtail Possum (Trichosurus cunninghami)
- Common Brushtail Possum (Trichosurus vulpecula)
- Swamp Wallaby (Wallabia bicolor)
- Eastern Grey Kangaroo (Macropus giganteus)
- European Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)
- European Hare (Lepus europaeus)
- White-striped Free-tailed Bat (Austronomus australis)
- Gould’s Wattled Bat (Chalinolobus gouldii)
- House Cat (Felis catus)
- Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes)
- Sambar Deer (Rusa unicolor)
If you’re interested or have enjoyed reading our Mammal Watching October Report, please feel free to get in touch by emailing us at [email protected] or calling us on (03) 7018 2302. Alternatively, you can learn more about our mammal watching tours at this link.